Featured Post

BE HONEST! A Call for Filipino citizens and leaders

Friday, February 27, 2009

The Comeback Kid

No, this is not about John Mccain...rather this is about my personal comback into the realm of campus politics.

My so-called "political" life in school has been full of ups and downs, I have won and losts many elections. In grade school my rise to the presidency was predicted early, but in the crucial election costly alignments and lack of visibility resulted in heartbreaking loss. Entering high school, seemingly making a "comeback", I once again lost in a more bitter way - unopposed, yet losing due to the lack of voters. This led me to shun away from campus politics, up until my first year in college at the Ateneo. I was elected as our Year Council President. Things looked pretty well until the next year, come re-election time i faced a heated opponent and an experienced, well-known opponent. Alas, defeat was my fate again. Thus, I devoted myself to other worthwhile endeavours, working on projects and still being an active leader in campus activities.

Then the law school came. I did not enter politics straight away, as I decided to focus on my studies and adjust to the new kind of student life. Come the end of my first year, I was once again offered the chance to serve in the Student Council. I was asked to run for one of the top positions - Secretary General, though I was only about to enter my sophomore year. I accepted, although I had some qualms about it, and I was pitted against an incoming senior who was more experienced and quite importantly, knew more people in law school. It wouldn't be hard to guess the result of that race - I lost again. Victory in campus politics seemed a far away dream at that point. It would seem as though fate did not bless me with the gift of political victory.

That was 2 years ago...and now, as previously written, I embarked again on a campaign and on a new foray into campus politics. Can you guess what the results were of the recent student elections in my law school? Unopposed, I won garnering 87.6% of the votes. Hence, the term "The Comeback Kid".

I am back in business! Not that I stopped working or helping in and out of school with community activities, but I am back in this challenging game and life that is campus politics.

However, merely winning is not what is important to me. First, I see this as a blessing from God. He has once again given me something that I never imagined was possible. Second, I see this "comeback" as a challenge for me to serve my community and the people around me even more and even better. I know there are a lot of trials and difficulties ahead, and I will need all the help I can get. So now I pray that God will guide me in this new role and opportunity he has given me, that he blesses me with perseverance, wisdom, patience, understanding and most of all integrity and honesty in everything that I do.

Congratulations to my fellow winners and newly elected officers of the Student Council, may we all be guided and blessed as we journey in leading.

My story, as I believe, is that of a real Comeback Kid. I just wanted to share it hoping that maybe it would inspire someone who thinks all is lost to not give up, because if you keep on believing and dreaming nothing is impossible. No matter how many times you fall, you can always make a comeback - and a great one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment